Wine region of Szerémség - Fruška Gora wines were also served on the Titanic
The Hungarians call Srem, the Serbs Srem, while the Croats call Srijem the eye-catching landscape called Sirmium by the Romans, which is located between the Danube and the Sava and is located in Vojvodina. But not only is the area wonderful, the Tarcal Mountains on the slopes of the Tarcal Mountains, Fruška Gora, are also remarkable. The fertile Pannonian land, centuries of winemaking experience and secret recipes have made the people of Szerémség the most skillful winemakers, and the town of Sremski Karlovci (Karlóca) has become the “wine capital”. In the 15th century, the librarian of King Matthias Corvin wrote that it would be very difficult to find wines similar to those of a lover.
Fruška Gora, the "wine island"
Fruška Gora was formed as a result of tectonic movements millions of years ago, when the area was covered by the Pannonian Sea and was essentially an island. Historians note that the Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius Probus planted the first vineyards in what is now Fruška Gora, thus starting viticulture and winemaking in Serbia. The emperor was killed by his soldiers because in peacetime they had to plant vines, among other things, so they (also) rebelled against him.
In the Middle Ages, Orthodox and Catholic monasteries developed wine production, while during the Turkish occupation (from 1526 to 1688), grape cultivation was officially banned. After the expulsion of the Turks, the Vienna imperial court awarded the Odescalchi family with an estate, which included a large part of Szerémség. Prince Livio Odescalchi and his descendants did a lot for the development of the winemaking traditions of Szerem. They probably introduced some Italian and French varieties, although Kadarka was the best grape in that period. Later events (phylloxera, World War I and World War II) prevented the development of the area, and after 1945, socialism came, during which cooperative cellars were created. After 1997, Serbia and Croatia became separate states and the territory was divided.
Wine bottles from here were also found in the wreck of the Titanic
According to 2012 data, there are 2141 hectares of vineyards in the Szerémségi wine region, and the vineyards are located at an altitude of 90-270 meters above sea level, mainly on the northern and southern slopes. The topsoil consists of loess layers of about 2 meters or occasionally a mixture of loess, sand and clay in various combinations. The climate is continental with hot, dry summers and cold winters. The Danube reflects some sunshine back to the vineyards, creating a special microclimate. Bermet and Ausburch are authentic wines of Szerém, the prides of winemaking in this region. These wines filled the royal glasses in Vienna, London and Budapest, were written about by famous travelers and inspired many poets. The recipe for making Bermet is a well-kept secret that has been passed down from generation to generation. This herbal desert wine made local winemakers famous in European courtyards, and Bermet bottles were even found in the wreck of the Titanic. It is believed to have been added to the Titanic's wine list as well. The desert wine made from dried grapes and the recipe for Ausbruch were passed on from the Viennese court by top local winemakers when Sremski was under Austro-Hungarian rule in Karlovci. The most famous red wine of the Szémém winemakers is the cabernet sauvignon, also known as the “king of red wines”. Among the red grape varieties, mention should also be made of pinot blanc and pinot grigio. The best known local white wine is Italian Riesling. In addition to Italian Riesling, the white wines preserved in the cellars of Sémém include the tramini with its special aroma, the slightly sharper yet refreshing taste of župljanka, and the quality grape varieties used for the fantastic desert wines of the same name, such as sauvignon and neoplanta.
The southern Fruška Gora is not only of special beauty and hides not only vineyards but also a beautiful National Park.
Karlovac (Sremski Karlovci) is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful small towns in Vojvodina. The detail and historical past of the Orthodox Priestly Seminary and the Patriarchal Palace in the city center are outstanding. The pride of Karlóca is the beekeeping museum, where the tools of honey making can be seen dating back almost 200 years.
History is rich in the rich collections of the Museum of Szerem, the church of St. Demeter, and every square inch of the walls of St. Stephen's Chapel.
Not far from the city is the Fruška Gora National Park, which offers a particularly rare experience.
Karlóca (Sremski Karlovci) according to many, it is one of the most beautiful small towns in Vojvodina. In the center of the city, the detail and historical past of the Orthodox seminary and the patriarch's palace are outstanding. Karlóca is also proud of the beekeeping museum, where you can see the tools of honey production going back nearly 200 years.
On the edge of Karlóca, at the top of the hill, is the Chapel of Peace, which is the site of the peace treaty in Karlóca. Exactly where the tent where the contract was signed once stood.
St. Petersburg (Petrovaradin), the castle of St. Petersburg rising on the back of the hill of Szerémség jumps in first.
When you reach the castle, you should go straight to the Ludvig bastion and the baroque and silly clock tower that stands there: the big clock of the clock is funny (although it has more war significance) and the small one is minutes.
In the Novi Sad City Museum in the Upper Castle (Muzej Grada Novog Sada) we can recall the history of the castle.
Follow our Facebook page where you can meet daily information!